Saturday, June 6, 2009

New Improved Workspace

Over the years I have taken over about half of the ground floor of our house for my crafting endeavors. The main living area is on the 2nd and 3rd floors and the ground floor is where we enter from the garage. Now this part of the ground floor is not a huge space and the laundry is there too. But since I starting making my own frames for my stitching and I pin mount needlework for a frame shop on a contract basis and I now do my beading there, it has become quite cramped and unorganized. I have just made room for the additional supplies and equipment without thought for design and efficiency. For an engineer, much less two engineers, this is quite disturbing.

So my dear husband has been helping me redo my workspace. Today with the help of some chain, PVC, duct tape, and the duct tape of the new century - cable ties:

1) we raised my work table by several inches so I can avoid crippling back pain;
2) he added several shelves to make the storage of "stuff" much more efficient;
3) we laid down a scrap piece of indoor/outdoor carpet on the table top to give me a better surface for beading.

Plus, with the raised table, I have more storage underneath the table and leg room. I have a fan, radio, and lots of lights. I am so excited I want to work all night! Okay, slight exaggeration, but I am looking forward to it tomorrow. I'll just have to decide what to do first...needle threaders, tassels, or pin a big cross stitch for the frame shop. A crafter's work is never done!