Thursday, June 11, 2009

Designing Out of your Comfort Zone

Sometimes the hardest part of the creative process is working outside your comfort zone. Obviously, if you are stitching or beading or painting for yourself you can do whatever you want whether it's comfortable or a stretch for you. However, when you are making something for someone else or selling your work, you have to remember that not everyone has the same tastes as you do.

When I'm looking for something to stitch for a gift I consider the decorating style and color schemes of the recipient. And lots of times, it just hits you like it does in a clothing boutique..."Oh this would be perfect for " whomever. But when working on things to sell I have to think outside the box. By that I mean, I don't have a specific customer in mind, but I know that not everyone is a pink and blue person like me. So I have to work a little harder to combine colors and styles that may not necessarily appeal to me. And I have found that those pieces sell as well, or better, than my favorites. Who would have thought that not everyone likes what I do?! Amazingly enough, I usually come to love those pieces too. It just takes me a little longer to warm up to them.

This needlework accessory set falls into that category. The fiery reds combined with the bright yellow has become more and more attractive to me since I designed it. What do you think?

And lately, I've decided that I need more than one style in my personal collection because my mood is reflected by or sometimes, affected by, my stitching accessories. I have a favorite pair of scissors, but I don't use them on every project. Why should my fob or counting pins be any different. I think this set says "sassy". So I might have to use them on a wildly colored band sampler or a geometric needlepoint design of Laura J. Perin's.