Thursday, March 21, 2013

Hippity Hop!

Oh, I am so glad I decided to used a textured stitch for the grass in "Hippity Hop"!  It looks so cool and I would have died of boredom if I had to cross stitch every single one of those little buggers! I'm using a brick stitch variation.  Each brick stitch is over four threads which equals four cross stitches each. Ych.
I will admit that the compensating stitches brought the frog to the house several times...usually just as I was ready to call it a night.  But I sent him on his way pronto.  I think I will give this little guy to my Mom for Mother's Day. She loves bunnies.

My fabric finally arrived for "Virtue Outshines the Stars", so that will be my next start. But since I want to continue with Nicola's Scarlet Letter blog I'll also be starting "Jean Scrimgeowr" in the next little bit.  I'm not very good at the stitching rotation thing, but I'm going to give it a try.  Don't be surprised if I abandon one because I become obsessed with the other.  I can't help it, it's just the way my brain works.

25 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness with that grass! I love it!!! The piece is adorable but that stitch just added a wonderful accent to it. Love the variation the thread makes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure where the idea came from, but I like it too.

      Delete
  2. That brick stitch makes all the difference! Stunning.
    I'm not very good at a rotation either. I find myself stitching what calls me at the time, but that's what it's all about...enjoying the stitch!
    ~hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really am a one-project-at-a-time girl, but I'm going to give it a go.

      Delete
  3. Wow! What a great choice! I would have never thought of that. The brick stitch really give great impact to this project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the brick stitch! It adds so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How clever.... love the look this piece has. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I have ever seen the brick stitch but I am loving it on your piece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a new stitch for me also, but I really love how it adds texture to your piece and I'm liking the prospect of possibly using this on And They Sinned if I ever make it that far down to the huge grassy area! Thanks for sharing this technique. I'm sure your mom will love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After 40 yrs of counted thread work (and 2 LNS), I buy more reference books than charts these days. And doing all those 17th and 18th century samplers has taught me a lot of stitches. So I try to utilize them when I can, especially in an all x-stitch piece. If you haven't seen this series from the Caron Collection, you might enjoy it. "Stitches for Effect", "More Stitches for Effect" and "Even More..."

      Delete
  8. Your stitch looks lovely, and the brick stitch really brings it to life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great way to cover a big area and the texture is perfect for grass. Very cute. CJ in OK

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful! Just wonderful. You really made it special.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Popping over from The Lake Stitcher's blog - LOVE this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, that is absolutely adorable!! Great way to stitch the grass :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the way you stitched the grass.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the grass too. I hope that I remember this idea. Sometimes I think having too many projects to stitch is worse that not having enough. I spend more time deciding on which project to start.....I get nothing done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your grass look fabulous! What a brillant idea. Thanks for the tip, we all want to try it now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant! Congrats on a true stitching coup. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful idea and lovely effect, Tommye!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Using your repertoire of embroidery stitches is a brilliant way to break up the boredom. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I came over here from Lee's blog and just love the brick stitched grass! What a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh how wonderful you used anything like son? It's beautiful! bisus of France
    mary

    ReplyDelete