Friday, March 12, 2010

Ta-Da!

"Pigalle" is done!  Woohoo! 


Now all I have to do is frame it.  I have two mouldings in stock that I like. What do you think?  I'm leaning towards the narrow one.  I'll have to cut down the frame, but that's not a problem.  I haven't done any framing in a quite a while.  I'd like to get this one done quickly so that I can loan it to Donna at Angelwing Needlearts for a shop model.  My version is so different from the cover model that hopefully it will encourage others to be brave and not worry about the cross-stitch police.

Speaking of my version...I stitched it on 40 count Tundra from Lakeside Linens, using 1 strand of floss over 2 fabric threads.  One skein of each was sufficient, except for the navy DMC.  I used two+ skeins!  So make sure you have enough of whatever you decide to use.  And remember that if you choose to stitch it on a larger count that you will probably want to use 2 strands and your stitches will be larger so you will need significantly more floss. These are the color changes that I made.

GAST Antique Rose --> GAST Hyacinth
GAST Briar Rose -->  GAST Red Plum
GAST Gold Leaf  --> GAST Avacado
GAST Wood Rose -->  WDW Dutch Iris
GAST Fragrant Cloves --> GAST Briar Rose
GAST Woodsmoke -->  GAST Walnut
GAST Raven --> DMC 939 Dark Navy **

Remember that most of these hand-dyed fibers can have significant dye lot differences, so play around with them and make changes if you aren't satisfied with the way they blend. That's what I had to do.


20 comments:

  1. That's really lovely! What's the finished size going to be? And where can I find the pattern? Btw, I think I like the wider frame...but if it's a very big piece, then maybe the narrower is better. Anyway, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw you closing in on the finish last post. Wow, this looks super - and so nice in the colors you picked. I think the more reddish frame would look smashing, but I don't think you could go wrong from here. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Tommye!!! Congrats, it looks beautiful!! I like both the frames, either one would work but I think I like the bigger one just a little bit better. And your color changes are fantastic, I really like them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! It's just gorgeous! I sorta like the wide moulding better, but I like the narrow one too. Aren't I helpful? lol! I love your Pigalle though! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Incredible! Amazing! Well done! It's really lovely, Tommye. We're all so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the wider frame. The narrow one looks a little busy against the stitching. Congrats on the finish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your piece is beautiful. Great color choices. I am a fan of the narrow frame.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just gorgeous Tommye. I definitely going to make note of your color substitutions because it really is an eye catcher!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great, and I like the wider frame better too.

    PussDaddy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty...love the vibrant colors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG Tommye - it is just incredible! I love it. The colors are just stunning!.
    Congrats - it is lovely!
    No rest for the weary either, and I know you're ready to get stitching on your next project. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's fabulous! My eye always tends towards bigger frames, but that's just me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that is gorgeous!!! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. BEAUTIFUL just beautiful~~~ Congrats on the finish~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a beautiful piece and that frame will just finish it off so gorgeously. Congrats on a marvellous finish.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's gorgeous! The colours are lovely. Congrats!
    I vote for the wider frame.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you all for your lovely comments. It means so much to me that you actually take the time to post them.

    And the overwhelming vote is for the wider frame. Let's see if I can get it framed soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I am so jealous ! I have a few cross stitches I began and never finished. This is lovley - Now you get to enjot it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tommye it is gorgious...love it. which frame did you decide on? I liked the wider one.

    Colorway is great.
    Take care sweetie.
    Reina

    http://reina-reinaknits.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete