Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Signs of Autumn

When you think of Autumn, leaves changing color and cooler weather spring to mind. Well, when you live at the beach in North Carolina the signs are a little different. The weather is usually cooler, but not always, and the few leaves that change don't do it until much later in the season.  The Confederate Rose, which is really a hibiscus, blooms in October and November and yachts begin heading south on the Intracoastal Waterway for the winter. I managed to get a photo of our Confederate Rose, but I never have my camera with me when I see the yachts sailing by. So use your imagination. At night, before the temperatures get too cold, we sleep with the door open and can sometimes hear them motoring by. It's very soothing.
The other sign of Autumn in my house is Christmas ornaments being stitched. Here are the latest finishes of the Mill Hill beaded ornaments this year.