Friday, March 18, 2011

This is Gonna be FUN!

 Well, after some research and great advice from a reader, I have chosen my colors for the Moroccan sampler and started stitching. It's very slow going, but quite easy. The wine color doesn't show up very well, in the photo, but it's a beautiful deep color that I hope will balance the piece nicely.

Because the sampler is so large and I'm a control freak, I printed out this black and white picture and tried to map out which colors I'll use where. It's a little hard to visualize, but hey, after decades of following the directions, it's time I stepped outside the box...maybe even off the cliff! LOL 


11 comments:

  1. It's going to be gorgeous!!
    :)

    I took a class once and the instructor was adamant that you should NEVER try to do anything different/unique with her patterns. It really took the fun out of it for me. Needless to say, it's a UFO that has been stashed in a box for YEARS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful color combination! I love the start you have made!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting, Kelly. Most of the designers I know encourage you to use your own creativity. Besides, there are NO cross stitch police!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jules, I am such a dummy. I replied the other day to your comment (to a no-reply email addr)w/ this.
    "Wow! Thanks for the info, Jules. I chose about 6 colors tonight. We'll see how many times I have to change them. I actually have the book she ref'd from the V&A Museum and found the piece she took the motifs from. Then I Googled "Moroccan needlework colors' for some color ideas. I'll be sure to check your thesis blog too."

    Now I'm depending on you to keep me on the right track!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What you have so far is really nice! No cross stitch police....and I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is going to be GORGEOUS!! I can't wait to see it as you add more colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - you are brave! What a beautiful piece it will be!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow!!!! love those colors chick!! Cant wait to see this baby unfold!! Take care, Faye

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice colour choices! Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You picked the bright blue! I knew you would! This is going to be stunning and I can't wait to see your progress...you superstitcher!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's not only going to be fun, it's going to be a masterpiece. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete