Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas Makes Me FAT!

This weekend has been dedicated to baking and some last minute stitching!!! And it's not the stitching that makes me fat. I love to bake but I don't do it very often because I can't afford the calories. But at Christmas I really enjoy making up "goodie" plates for the mail carrier, the fab folks at our vet's office, my hairdresser aka "The Miracle Worker", just to mention a few. And I get a real kick out of  certain people requesting seconds! I don't bake a lot of cookies, but I have some wonderful treats that I make every year. Here's a real quickie that no one will ever suspect is so easy. Enjoy!

Poor Man's Toffee
1 sleeve of saltines
2 sticks of butter (1 cup)
1/2 cup suger
1 large (12 oz) bag of semi sweet chocolate chips.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Melt butter and sugar in a small sauce pan. Line a jelly roll pan with aluminum foil. Lay saltines on foil in a single layer. Spread melted butter/sugar over saltines. Bake for exactly 15 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over top. Return to oven for 2 minutes. Remove from oven and spread chocolate. Cool. Break into pieces.

Here are a few more ornaments that I've stitched. You'll have to wait til after Christmas to see the non-ornament things I've stitched recently. You just never know who's reading my blog.

5 comments:

  1. Just love those ornaments that you stitched. I wish that I could get into stitching smaller things, but I always go after the BAPS. And I was looking for that recipe for the toffee. Thanks so much for printing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the ornaments!! The Noel stocking is especially sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have acutally tried this toffee and it is fantastic~~~ You would never know it there are saltine crackers as the base!!!! Thanks for sharing and the ornaments are gorgeous btw...

    Thanks again for sending the surprise ornament in the mail!! It is smiling back from my tree as we speak!!

    Merry Christmas, Faye

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to try the toffee.
    The ornaments are beautiful!
    I'm looking forward to more pictures!
    Merry Christmas!

    Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ornaments are so well made! I love the stocking. I hope you will have a great Christmas and enjoy every bit of it.

    Christmas greetings from Norway!

    ReplyDelete