Saturday, July 3, 2010

I am an American

On the eve of American Independence Day, I am so grateful for the gift of freedom. Freedom to pray, to disagree with our leaders, to read whatever catches my fancy, to speak out in favor of something politically controversial, to go where I want, to live where I choose, to befriend whomever I like, to work at something I love, to write a silly blog about my hobby. It's all important. Remember that when someone tries to take it away. Thank God for those who were, and those who still are, willing to die to protect the freedom we enjoy.

Like most Americans, I take it for granted and probably don't appreciate it as I should. Which is why holidays like the Fourth of July are so important and special. I still get chills every single time I hear the Star Spangled Banner. My heart gives a little jump when I see our service men and women in uniform. As corny as it sounds, I love to see the stars and stripes waving in the breeze.
 

So I say it with pride. I am an American.